Position: Software Engineer (Backend/Fullstack) – Services Development
Reports to: VP Software and Services
Location: Cambridge, U.K.
Who we are
Azuri Technologies Ltd is an award-winning company operating in Cambridge and Sub-Saharan Africa. We develop, manufacture and deliver a ground-breaking pay-as-you-go (PayGo) solar power service that transforms the lives of people that are not connected to the electricity grid. Every day, thousands of off-grid rural households benefit from the economic, social, and health benefits that access to Azuri’s clean and reliable power brings.
Our product and technology solutions extend from solar charging, high-efficiency lighting, low energy appliances and smartphone-based field tools, through to end-to-end network solutions, mobile communications, payment processing, backend server infrastructure and cloud-based analytical tools which support delivery of the pay-as-you-go service.
With a total market of 600 million in Sub-Saharan Africa, the strategic expansion of our product range beyond lighting and mobile phone charging, coupled with the growth of the business is creating new opportunities within our development team in Cambridge.
The skills you will be delivering
As a software engineer in our Services Development Team, you will develop, scale and maintain the software services that Azuri relies on to deliver its award-winning pay-as-you-go solar power technology to rural, off-grid homes in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The team develops reliable, cloud-based services that support end-users and distribution, including mobile payment systems, business and distributor information systems, mobile apps and data and analytics platforms.
As a backend software engineer, you will be working in an agile Scrum team with software engineers, designers, test engineers and our distribution, logistics, operations and finance teams. You will understand the business model and its deployment to deliver a dependable PAYG service that supports end-users, distribution partners and Azuri across multiple countries in Africa.
By working within the Services Development team and the wider Azuri team, you will help to define and implement the platform that delivers new and creative services, make technology choices, scale and secure our service platform and evolve our development processes and environment.
Working at Azuri you will make a real social and economic impact on the lives of millions of people in Sub-Saharan Africa. Our products and services have an immediate impact on the education, health, wealth, security and life quality of our customers through the delivery of renewable energy and services.
Who you are
You are passionate about building scalable, secure, cloud-based systems that make a material impact on people’s lives. You have experience with cloud applications, web infrastructure, distributed systems, databases and delivering and deploying software services in agile teams.
– You have 2 years of software development experience with object-oriented languages such as Java, C#, Python or a similar programming language. We code primarily in Java but are looking to bring other technologies on board
– You have a deep understanding of programming fundamentals; algorithms, data structures, Object Oriented programming\
– You know relational database concepts
– You will have worked on scalable, service-oriented, database-driven platforms on the cloud
– A good degree in computer science, software engineering or relevant subject
Ideally, you have knowledge and experience of more than one of the following:
– Java Spring Framework, with MVC
– SQL databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
– Front end development skills including, HTML, CSS, JS – familiarity with frameworks like Vue, React, Angular are a plus
– Networking technologies including IP, DNS, HTTP/HTTPS
– Knowledge of Elasticsearch, Hadoop, MapReduce, Kafka, Kinesis, Spark or other data processing platforms
Occasional travel to Sub-Saharan Africa may be required
Azuri is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
If you’re interested in working for Azuri Technologies please send us your CV and a Covering Letter to email@example.com and include the job title in the subject line.