Engineering Programme Manager
Location: Cambridge (UK) + International Travel (Asia & Africa)
Reporting Line: VP Product Development
Package: £DOE + 8% pension contribution + 25 days’ vacation
Join a team that is making a difference!
Azuri is paving the way in delivering next-generation energy to Africa to help the 600 million in Sub-Saharan Africa without access to main electricity to generate affordable, clean and reliable energy for their homes.
Azuri uniquely combines cutting-edge solar innovation, mobile payment technology and machine-learning technology into a small, affordable systems specially designed for off-grid homes currently disadvantaged by remote distances and lack of grid access. Customers have a stand-alone solar system in their house, with a panel, control unit including batteries and consumer devices such as LED lights, rechargeable radio and television.
Our pay-as-you-go model enables customers to pay in small increments they can afford and once fully paid, the system is owned by the household and all power generated is free of charge to them. Azuri has already delivered systems for over 150,000 homes and changed nearly a million lives in the process. Adoption of pay-as-you-go solar is growing rapidly and over 2 million people in Africa now benefit from this technology.
Our company and solar systems are award-winning. Azuri was recently named in the Global CleanTech 100 list and has collected numerous awards including the Edison Gold Award and UN Climate Solutions Award for its innovative technology.
Azuri’s vision is to create a level playing field where all African consumers can access and benefit from modern services and digital world wherever they live.
Your role in the team
Azuri has an ongoing program of product development, comprising both hardware and software. These products vary from larger versions of existing products (bigger batteries, larger panels, better lights etc) to very different offerings that use the same PayGo technology, such as solar irrigation pumps.
Azuri has a small but very capable development team. The Engineering Program Manager will be responsible for managing the new product development activity, from defining in detail (in collaboration with colleagues) the specific product requirements, through the development and testing phases and up to handover to the New Product Introduction team in Azuri who will liaise with our manufacturing partners.
The fundamentals of many of Azuri’s products are well-established – for example solar panels and batteries. However, using the latest iterations of such components to build systems that are suitable for a volume market in emerging African countries at an affordable price point is hugely challenging. It requires innovation in all areas of the product – Azuri is, for example, the only company to have Artificial Intelligence incorporated into the power controller of some of its solar home systems, even in products that have a manufacturing cost of a few tens of pounds.
To effectively perform the Engineering Program Manager role you must have a mix of sound electronic engineering and software management skills, alongside an intuitive understanding of what works in consumer products and the ability to build clear plans to deliver the products.
Azuri uses a mix of project management techniques from agile processes to conventional V-model approaches, depending on the degree to which the product is a conventional extension of an existing offering or a new experimental product that requires an iterative development-and-test process. As Engineering Program Manager, you will run this overall development process and be responsible for connecting the engineering activity to customer reality.
The role is hands on! We are a relatively small company so everyone has to be engaged. You can expect to be intimately involved in the development process, discussing technical issues and trading off options against customer requirements to create products that are cost- effective, high quality and fit for purpose.
Successful candidates will be motivated team players with a demonstrated ability to rise to challenges in a dynamic and rapidly evolving work environment, tempered with the maturity to create robust solutions…….and be committed to making a difference to people’s lives.
- Defining the business case, requirements, technical specifications, quality requirements, etc. for new products
- Create and manage project plans using agile techniques to develop products in a way that matches technical capabilities to customer requirements
- Manage the product evaluation phases in collaboration with Azuri teams in the markets
- Manage supporting activities to new product introduction such as customer instruction manuals, training material,
- Support the handover of the product to the New Product Introduction team and provide such assistance as may be needed to enable the product to enter the market in a timely manner
- A good degree in and appropriate engineering discipline, ideally to Masters or higher level
- 10 years engineering management experience, working with small teams to bring products from early definition stage to market introduction
- Demonstrated understanding of the requirements of consumer electronics development and manufacture
- Experience of managing product development using a number of approaches including agile and conventional v-model approaches
- Commercially savvy so that you can develop the business case, and manage pricing and development costs
- Have an understanding of manufacturing processes and an appreciation of quality tools and processes
- Experience of working with and managing Far Eastern suppliers would be an advantage, as would the ability to speak Mandarin
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Strong analytic skills with knowledge of standard tools such as Excel, Matlab etc
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Willing to travelling to Africa and the Far East from time to
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool, as well as those who reflect the diverse nature of our society. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths. Creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business and as an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we are open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
If you fit the above job description, please email email@example.com with a CV and Cover Letter. Please be advised that we can only accept candidates who have the right to work in the UK.