Solar Appliance Product Manager
Location: Cambridge, U.K.
Reports to: VP Product Management
About the role
Along with our business, our service offerings are growing. This includes the provision of high quality, energy efficient appliances that operate with our Solar Home Systems, including products such as Radios, TVs, Irrigation Pumps, Torches, etc.
Corresponding growth in the organisation has resulted in the new role of Product Manager (job title TBC), focused on bringing the next generation of appliances to our customers.
You will be primarily be working with Far Eastern suppliers, our Product Development team in Cambridge and our distribution support teams in East and West Africa.
Do not assume this is simply about re-branding off-the-shelf products. Azuri’s goal is to deliver high quality, best-in-class solutions for the rural consumer. Although the starting point may be an existing product, often we need to work with manufacturers to adapt, optimise and apply innovative solutions to the design to meet the needs of the market and our quality expectations.
Successful candidates will be motivated team players with a demonstrated ability to rise to challenges in a dynamic and rapidly evolving work environment, tempered with the maturity to create robust solutions.
– Defining the requirements, technical specifications, quality requirements, etc. for appliances (TV, Radio, Fan, etc.) for use with Azuri Solar Home Systems.
– Identifying suppliers and sourcing products, accessories and components.
– Evaluation of prototypes and samples, including field trials where appropriate
– Definition of the requirements for product qualification in conjunction with the Product Development team
– Documentation development including customer instruction manuals, training material, etc.
– Project management through to production (suitably experienced candidates can also expect to handle the commercial issues with suppliers.)
– Hands-on! We are a small company so everyone has to be engaged.
– An Engineering or Product Design background – so that you can write specifications, and evaluate designs and prototypes
– Commercially savvy so that you can manage pricing and development costs.
– Experience of working with and managing Far Eastern suppliers.
– Have an understanding of manufacturing processes and an appreciation of quality tools so that you can differentiate between the good and not so good suppliers.
– Project management skills so that you can manage documentation, keep suppliers on track and successfully launch new products
– Attention to detail and commitment to quality
– Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
– Degree in a relevant discipline
Willing to travelling to the Far East and sub-Saharan Africa from time to time.